All guests are welcome to participate in any of the following activities at no extra charge. A daily schedule is posted on a noticeboard in the main lounge.
in the surrounding countryside – accompanied by a fitness specialist, these vary in pace according to fitness levels of the participants (Slow/Medium/Power)
– an ancient Chinese form of martial arts that can be practised by anyone. Being slow and graceful, the movements are deceptively easy, but they require full attention and presence of mind. As a form of embodied mindfulness, there are immediate health benefits and over time a regular practice will develop concentration, flexibility and improved balance.
– an ancient holistic practice meaning ‘union’ that promotes overall wellness using postures, breathing exercises and meditation. At The Hydro, classes are at beginner/intermediate level. They assist in loosening muscles and joints, correcting breathing abnormalities and postural dysfunction whilst providing a template for your later use at home. Meditation is central to yoga and is one of many ways to develop your mindfulness practice.
– mindfulness classes in which participants lie on the floor while the instructor’s relaxing voice guides you to pay attention to breathing and different parts of your body, allowing you to become increasingly aware and more relaxed on a number of different levels.
SITTING IN STILLNESS
– a guided sitting meditation / mindfulness class lasting 30 minutes, of which 10 min comprise verbal suggestions to assist the mind to quieten and pay attention to breathing, posture and body sensations. Then follows 20 min of silence in which the practice of managing thoughts by focusing on the present moment is maintained. Thereafter, you are invited to take your newly heightened awareness into the garden where you may find that taking time to smell the roses takes on new significance. *Please note that no religious/sectarian affiliations are involved.
aims to strengthen the body in an even way, with particular emphasis on core strength to improve general fitness and wellbeing. It puts emphasis on alignment, breathing, developing a strong physical core and improving coordination and balance. If practiced consistently, pilates improves flexibility, builds strength and develops control and endurance in the entire body.
ORGANIC VEGGIE GARDEN TOURS
– join the gardening team for 30-min guided tours to discover the permaculture principles behind the cultivation of organic produce that is fundamental to nutrition at The Hydro.
– classes held twice a day in the indoor pool during which the resistance of warm water in combination with gentle exercises helps build strength and flexibility.
EVENING LECTURES AND DISCUSSIONS
– revealing the secrets behind the scrumptious salads for which The Hydro is renowned.
SUNBATHING, RELAXING, SWIMMING
HEATED INDOOR POOL